Friday, December 28, 2007

The Great Debaters


What does one do over their holiday break from work? Well if it is me, I try to get out and do the things that I often don't have time to do. In particular I went out to see the movie, The Great Debaters with my wife.


Let me start out by saying this movie was loaded with an enormous amount of teachable moments. As I kept watching the film, I kept thinking to myself, my students need to see this film! Since a majority of my students are African American and Latino, I know they could all see similarities from the movie and connections to the struggles in their lives.


The movie was about a college professor who helped establish one of the nations best debate teams at Wiley College. The movie captures many issues of race, inequality, discrimination and the civil rights movement.


Again, I highly recommend all those in education and community service to go out and see this movie. It is as deeply moving to me as Lean on Me and Freedom Writers. It is amazing the power and influence a great teacher has over their students and what can be accomplish with time.


--

¡Viviendo el SueƱo! (Living the Dream!)

Mr. Anibal Soler, Jr.

No comments: