Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Tragedy in Virginia Tech

Let me start out by saying my heart goes out to all of the students and families affected by this horrific tragedy. Who would have thought that this would have occurred at location that is designated for learning, sharing, growing and collegiality.

Although I am hundreds of miles away I feel the sorrow personally as I watch the convocation on television. I find myself misty eyed and saddened by this event as I continue to watch and hear the reports coming from CNN and various other news outlets.

I continously try to put myself in the shoes of the students who went through this event and ask myself what would I have done had I heard shooting outside my classroom. What would I have done had someone began shooting in my classroom? What would I have done had a been the School President? I am not sure what exactly I would do or how I would have handled the situation.

I do hope that those students who survived this mass murder, will share the stories of the classmates whose lives were lost.

As the day progressed, I began to think if my students at school would be affected by this tragedy. Would they come into school with questions or comments about what has occurred so far away from their surroundings?

What was quite ironic was that a lady did eventually ask me the question if my students at school would be bothered by this event. I thought about it briefly before responding and said, No. I don't think my students have a grasp of events outside of their community. Most of my students have a tough time realizing that life is larger than the block or neighborhood they represent. I continued to tell her that most of my students are so preoccupied with their daily struggle of survival that I doubt if this incident would really affect them.

I did say that I hope my teachers take the time to acknowledge the tragedy and share with the students the profound and disturbing effect that one man actions had on an entire community.

In closing I want to reiterate my sympathy for all of those affected in the Virginia Tech killings. My prayers are with you in this time of need.

God Bless you all!!
Anibal
www.anibalsoler.com

No comments: