Monday, April 9, 2007

Spring Break, a time for reflection...

I hope everyone is enjoying their time off from school and rejuvenating themselves for the final stretch of the school year. When I get these moments of downtime at work I often find myself reading literature that will continue to ignite my passion for what I do. I often go back and read a poem that was first read to me by one of my professors at St. John Fisher.

I remember the day very clearly when Mr. Bell stood up at the front of the class and read to my classmates and me, a poem by Michael Josephson entitled What Will Matter (c)2003. When Mr. Bell finished reading everyone's reaction was quiet and reflective. My observation of the class was stunned and inspired by what they just heard.

Let me be the first to warn you that the poem is very powerful and moving. It may cause you to make a lifestyle change.

I think everyone involved in education; parents, teachers, administrators, students,
politicians and community stakeholders should read and refer to this poem before making any global decisions. My rationale behind this suggestions would to be to make sure that stakeholders are truly, intrinsically doing what is right for our students.

Here is a link to a PDF version of the poem Click Here.
Here is a html version for those of you who would rather view the poem in your internet browser.

Living the Dream!
Anibal
www.anibalsoler.com

No comments: