Sunday, April 20, 2008

Keynote Speech 14th Annual Noche Dorada


The event was a success! Congratulations to all the undergraduate Hermanos who worked so hard on the event. I along with many alumni Hermanos had a great time! I have copied my speech below and I hope you feel the message as much as the crowd did that night.

Keynote Speech
Ladies and Gentleman, Damas y Caballeros, Let me first start out by saying thank you! Thank you for attending the 20th Anniversary of the Epsilon Chapter of La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. I want to also thank my Hermanos for giving me this opportunity to come before you today and deliver my message.

When my Hermanos asked me if I would be the keynote speaker tonight, I was thrilled. I didn’t hesitate for a moment at this opportunity, the opportunity to address the future leaders and difference makers of our world.

Before I proceed, I want to take a moment to recognize all of you in attendance that are achieving the dream. You are what I often state amongst colleagues, students and peers, Viviendo El Sueno, Living the Dream! Before I continue, please give yourself a round of applause!

This year’s theme is "Eternal Reflections: Viente Anos y Para Siempre!" For any of my non-Spanish speaking guest that is “20 years and Forever. “

This year’s theme speaks to our capability to live and learn from our past, to take what we know and continue pushing forward in our daily lives. This year’s theme creates an opportunity for us to reflect, and take a good look at ourselves as Latinos and citizens of this world. It also forces us to ask the question, are we as Latinos truly doing the best we can do for ourselves and our people with the privileges we have been given and earned. The term, “Eternal Reflections is the ability to always look at yourself in the mirror and see your past, present and future within yourself and everything you do and stand for.

Having said this, I am sure you are wondering who I am, and why am I here?

Before I get into specific details about me, you need to know some information from the past. Information that will help shed a light on why I do what I do, and why we are all here as an organization.

Twenty years ago, sixteen courageous Latino Men at Buffalo State College unified. These 16 young men at the time saw a void on their institution’s campus. They saw the lack of representation and voice for a growing Latino population. They found it very difficult to have their cultural needs meet through their college experience. They saw a lack of appreciation and recognition of their Latino “cultura.”

They decided to endure a process they would take them 13 and a half weeks, and finally on April 23, 1988, these young Latino men became the founding Hermanos of the Eternal Epsilon Chapter of La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. A chapter that started at one institution and has now since evolved into a citywide chapter encompassing nearly all institutions in the City of Buffalo.

I would like to take a moment to recognize these founding Hermanos, if you are in attendance please stand up to be recognized…
1. Hermano George Cruz

2. Hermano Caesar Cabrera

3. Hermano Albert Martinez

4. Hermano Alexis Bairan

5. Hermano Edgar Martinez

6. Hermano Francisco Guzman

7. Hermano John Tufino

8. Hermano Leslie Leon

9. Hermano Stan Luban

10. Hermano Alex Cruz

11. Hermano Anthony Cruz

12. Hermano Mike Rosell

13. Hermano Anthony Rivera

14. Hermano Renard Aikins

15. Hermano Richard Bertocci

16. Hermano Edwin Suarez El Segundo

Because of these men, I was able to join an organization that reaffirmed my commitment to the empowerment and betterment of all Latinos. Because of these men I also connected with three other individuals, who became my line brothers and life long Hermanos. This organization has taught me that all things are possible through education and collaboration with others who believe in the struggle. To date, there are approximately 100 young men from various backgrounds and beliefs who united under the vision of La Fraternidad and became Hermanos.

So now onto the present, and who am I?

Well as you previously heard, my name is Anibal Soler, I am currently an Academy Director/ Vice-Principal at Charlotte High School in the Rochester City School District. In case anyone was wondering I'm 100% Puerto Rican and very proud of my culture, as I am sure many of you are. I have grown up and lived the majority of my life in the City of Rochester. I attended public city schools up until my junior year of high school, when my parents had finally gained the means to own their own home, and we moved to the suburbs.

After graduating high school, I attended Daemen College in Amherst, NY on a basketball scholarship. Yeah, us Latino’s can play ball too. During my time at Daemen College, in the Spring of 98, I became an Hermano of La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. After becoming an Hermano and obtaining my undergraduate degree in teaching, I came back home to Rochester yet again. I worked full time as an Art teacher, at what was called at that time, Thomas Jefferson Middle School. Since graduating from Daemen College I have since obtained two master’s degrees, one from Nazareth College in educational technology and another from St. John Fisher College in educational administration. Currently, I am working on my doctorate at the University of Rochester in educational leadership.

I am sure many of you are sitting here and thinking, boy, that is a lot of school loans! Well you’re right, but well worth the ultimate goal, and we all know that knowledge is power.

Well, that’s enough about me, now let’s to get to why I am here.

I need you to take a moment to focus and critically consider the message I am going to deliver tonight. In my line of work, the country is in a state of crisis, some have called it a “silent epidemic.” As I have previously stated I am a high school Vice-Principal in the City of Rochester. I work in one of the five largest school districts in New York. I work in a school district that has approximately a 90% poverty rate. Many of my students come from homes and life experiences very similar to what many of you and I have encountered, except with them, I am losing more then I am gaining. I want you to understand that what the future holds is very critical for us, us as Latinos and us as a country.

A couple of weeks ago, ABC news reported that as a country, we have a national high school drop out rate of 50%. Ladies and gentlemen, that is 1.2 Million students dropping out a year. In Los Angeles the dropout rate is 45%, in Baltimore 34%, Miami 49%, and home to many of you, New York City, 47%. In Detroit 1 out of 4, 9th graders that entered school this year, will graduate. That is 25% graduation rate! Mi Gente, this has got to change!

Out of all the minorities not graduating, Latino’s are the highest. Latino’s are dropping out of high schools at an even alarming rate and are as much as 75% of the dropouts in America. In Rochester we have approximately 10,000 high school students, and if things don’t change and they continue to follow the current path, we will only graduate 40 percent of those students, that is 4,000 out of 10,000 high school students will be graduating. The majority of those not graduating in my school district are Latino’s. Latino’s in my school district are the highest of any minority group not making it out of high school. Again, the problem is real, and this has got to change!

According to the America’s Promise Alliance, every 26 seconds, one high school student drops out. Based off this statistic alone, by the time I get done speaking to you tonight, we will lose approximately 50 high school students.
In September of 2007, CNN reported that more Blacks and Latinos live in jail cells that in college dorms. The numbers are staggering. More then three times as many African-American people live in prison cells than in college dorms. The numbers don’t get any better for Latinos as there are 2.7 Latino inmates for every one Latino living in college housing. The majority of these inmates are also males.

This information also reflects the majority of the students dropping out of high school and not graduating. The bulk of them are also African-American and Latino. They live in poor unfunded inner cities. They come from homes and environments where they have little to no social support. They come from broken homes that have a single parent or grandparent raising them. The conversations about the value and importance of education are far and few in between in their lives.

For me, as I am sure was the case for many of you, college always felt like an option but only because my mother, and my Abuelo made it that way. They were my advocates. As the most educated person in my family, I feel a sense of pride but also a great appreciation. My mother never let me believe that the color of my skin or the amount of money we had would define my future. Instead, I got unfailing support. Now today, I am before students who are going through the same process and our coming from similar backgrounds. By showing and being the example for students that college is accessible, we can set an example for our future leaders. We all know that education is the foundation and the critical component for our success.

The time has changed, and today’s inner-city students need more support then ever, they need advocates and mentors in their lives.

Last year with the help of one of my Hermanos, I orchestrated the first ever free out of town overnight college trip for ten of my senior students at my high school. Ten students who knew the importance of college, but never had the opportunity to experience what it is like. Ten students, who had never left their neighborhood, were suddenly exposed to a completely new world of possibility. Last June, all ten students graduated high school and eight out of the ten enrolled in a college for the upcoming next year. This is just one example of what can be done.

I know this sounds crazy, but just last week , I had another example of the power and benefit of mentoring. A true example of what can occur if we all get involved in the life of a youth. I have been working with a young lady for this past school year. She comes from a broken home and has had many personal struggles throughout her life. She shows up to school every day with a smile and she makes sure that her academics are in place. This same young lady also works twenty plus hours at Wegmans to help make ends meet at home.

Last Friday at around noon, I took this young lady for an interview at the St. John Fisher College HEOP Office. An hour later, she was accepted, and as she turned to hug me outside of the office, she said, “Mr. Soler, I did it I am the first in my family to go to college, Thank you!” After that I walked her over to the bookstore to buy her, her first college t-shirt. Before I continue, I want to acknowledge that this would not be possible if I didn’t have the assistance of an Hermana of Sigma Lambda Upsilon Sorority, Inc. This is another example of why we must all be involved.

You are probably sitting there thinking what can I do to help? Well you have taken the first step. You have come and supported this organization through the purchase of your ticket. You have given a monetary donation that will be used by LUL to help impact the life of Latinos and other under represented groups on college campuses.

Before I leave you, tonight I want you to remember that your life will be measured not by how long you lived, but by what you have done during that time for others. So please make time to give to organizations such as LUL. If you cannot give financially then please give with your time, heart and dedication to doing what is our civic responsibility, of taking care of others. Make sure you go back to your college dorms, your work place and think how you may make a difference in the life of someone younger and less fortunate then yourself. Make sure you become an advocate for those students who are just as you were in high school. Again, this problem is real, and it is all of our responsibility to help.

Think back to what those 16 young Latino men did 20 years ago when they decided to create change and opportunity for the generations of Latinos to follow in college campuses in Buffalo.

I want to leave you tonight with some words from one of my all time favorite pieces of writing by Michael Josephson states, “Living a life that matters doesn’t happen by accident. It’s not a matter of circumstance but of choice. Choose to live a life that matters!”

Please help our youth, “Live the Dream!”

Thank you and Para Siempre!!
--
¡Viviendo el SueƱo! (Living the Dream!)
Mr. Anibal Soler, Jr.
http://www.anibalsoler.com
http://anibalsoler.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job on the speech and great catching up with you this weekend. Good luck in everything brother!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I can't wait to see the video as I just finished reading the speech. It was very moving and thank you for sharing this much needed message with everyone.
Para Siempre ... Gus