Monday, April 14, 2008

Keynote Speaker at Noche De Fuego

On April 11, 2008 I was honored to be the Keynote speaker at Noche De Fuego, a benefit dinner being held by Senoritas Latinas Unidas, Sigma Lambda Upsilon Sorority, Inc. The event was held at the Clarion Riverside Hotel. This was my first public speaking engagement, and below is my speech. Thanks again to all of those who attended. It was for a worthy cause.

Noche De Fuego Speech
Ladies and Gentleman, Damas y Caballeros, let me first start out by saying thank you! Thank you, for attending, Noche de Fuego and supporting the lovely Hermanas of Senoritas Latinas Unidas, Sigma Lambda Upsilon Sorrority, Inc. I want to also thank the Hermanas for giving me this opportunity to come before you today, and deliver my message. I am very humbled and honored to be here.

When the Hermanas asked me if I would be the keynote speaker tonight, I was thrilled. I didn’t hesitate for a moment at this opportunity, the opportunity to address the future leaders and difference makers of our world. The opportunity to address students, professionals and colleagues who come from a multitude of cultural backgrounds that need to hear, and know, that we are all we got.

Before I proceed, I want to take a moment to recognize all of you in attendance, all of you who are achieving the dream. You are often what I state amongst colleagues, students and peers, Viviendo El Sueno, Living the Dream! Before I continue please give your self a round of applause!

So who am I, and why am I here?

Well as you previously heard, my name is Anibal Soler, I am currently an Academy Director/ Vice-Principal at Charlotte High School in the Rochester City School District. I am 100% Puerto Rican and very proud of my culture, as I am sure many of you are. I have grown up and lived the majority of my life here in the city of Rochester. I attended city schools up until my junior year of high school, when my parents had finally gained the means to own their own home and we moved to the suburbs.

After graduating high school I attended Daemen College in Amherst, NY on a basketball scholarship. Yeah, us Latino’s can play ball too. During my time at Daemen College, I became an Hermano of La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. After becoming an Hermano and obtaining my undergraduate degree in teaching, I came back home to Rochester yet again. I worked full time as an Art teacher at what was called at that time, Thomas Jefferson Middle School. Since graduating from Daemen College I have since obtained two master’s degrees, one from Nazareth College in educational technology and another from St. John Fisher College in educational administration. Currently, I am working on my doctorate at the University of Rochester in educational leadership.

I am sure many of you are sitting here and thinking, boy, that is a lot of school loans! Well you’re right, but well worth the ultimate goal, and we all know that knowledge is power.

Well, that’s enough about me, and let’s to get to why I am here. I need you to take a moment to focus and critically consider the message I am going to deliver tonight. In my line of work, the country is in a state of crisis, some have called it a “silent epidemic.” As I have previously stated I am a high school Vice-Principal in the City of Rochester. I work in one of the five largest school districts in New York. I work in a school district that has approximately a 90% poverty rate. Many of my students come from homes and life experiences very similar to what many of you and I have encountered, except with them, I am losing more then I am gaining. I want you to understand that what the future holds is very critical for us, us as Latinos and us as a country.

Just last week ABC news reported that as a country, we have a national high school drop out rate of 50%. Ladies and gentlemen, that is 1.2 Million students dropping out a year. In Los Angeles the dropout rate is 45%, in Baltimore 34%, Miami 49%, and home to many of you, New York City, 47%. In Detroit 1 out of 4, 9th graders that entered school this year, will graduate. That is 25% graduation rate! People, this has got to change!

Out of all the minorities not graduating, Latino’s are the highest. Latino’s are dropping out of high schools at an even alarming rate and are as much as 75% of the dropouts in America. Here in Rochester we have approximately 10,000 high school students, and if things don’t change here and they continue to follow the current path, we will only graduate 40 percent of those students, that is 4,000 out of 10,000 high school students will be graduating. The majority of those not graduating in my school district are Latino’s. Latino’s in my school district are the highest of any minority group not making it out of high school. Again, the problem is real, and this has got to change!

According to the America’s Promise Alliance, every 26 seconds, one high school student drops out. Based off this statistic alone, by the time I get done speaking to you tonight, we will lose approximately 50 high school students.

In September of 2007, CNN reported that more Blacks and Latinos live in jail cells that in college dorms. The numbers are staggering. More then three times as many African-American people live in prison cells than in college dorms. The numbers don’t get any better for Latinos as there are 2.7 Latino inmates for every Latino living in college housing. The majority of these inmates are also males.
This information also reflects the majority of the students dropping out of high school and not graduating. The bulk of them are also African-American and Latino. They live in poor unfunded inner-cities. They come from homes and environments where they have little to no social support. They come from broken homes that have a single parent or grandparent raising them. The conversations about the value and importance of education are far and few in between in their lives.

For me, as I am sure was the case for many of you, college always felt like an option but only because my mother, and my grandparents made it that way. They were my advocates. As the most educated person in my family, I feel a sense of pride but also a great appreciation. My mother never let me believe that the color of my skin or the amount of money we had would define my future. Instead, I got unfailing support. Now today, I am before students who are going through the same process and our coming from similar backgrounds. By showing and being the example for students that college is accessible, we can set an example for our future leaders. We all know that education is the foundation and the critical component for our success.
The time has changed, and today’s inner-city students need more support then ever, they need advocates and mentors in their lives.

Last year with the help of one of my Hermanos, I orchestrated the first ever free out of town overnight college trip for ten of my senior students at my high school. Ten students who knew the importance of college, but never had the opportunity to experience what it’s like. Ten students, who had never left their neighborhood, were suddenly exposed to a whole new world of possibility. Last June all ten students graduated high school and 8 out of the 10 enrolled in a college for the upcoming next year. This is just one example of what can be done.

I know this sounds crazy, but just today, I had another example of the power and benefit of mentoring. A true example of what can occur if we all get involved in the life a youth. I have been working with a young lady for this past school year. She comes from a broken home and has had many personal struggles throughout her life. She shows up to school every day with a smile and she makes sure that her academics are in place. She also works twenty plus hours at Wegmans, to help make ends meet in her household. Today at around noon I took this young lady for an interview at the St. John Fisher College HEOP Office. An hour later she was accepted, and as she turned to hug me outside of the office, she said, “Mr. Soler, I did it I am the first in my family to go to college, thank you!” After that precious moment I walked her over to the bookstore to buy her, her first college t-shirt. Again, this is another example of why we must all be involved. Before I continue I want to thank Victoria McEachin for helping me out. Thank you Vicki!

You are probably sitting there thinking what can I do to help? Well you have taken the first step. You have come and supported this organization through the purchase of your ticket. You have given a monetary donation that will be used by SLU to help impact the life of a young lady.

SLU’s Ladies program is another example of doing what it takes to make a difference in the life of our youth. Their program has helped each participant gain college level skills, develop professionally, and most importantly learn about their culture. Since its inception in 2001, the program has helped touch the lives of young women. It is helped them realize that college is not inaccessible dream but a reality that they can achieve. Some of the participants are now enrolled at various colleges throughout New York State.

Before I leave you, tonight I want you to remember that your life will be measured not by how long you lived, but by what you have done during that time for others. So please make time to give to organizations such as SLU and their Lady’s Program. If you cannot give financially then please give with your time, heart and dedication to doing what is our civic responsibility, taking care of others. Make sure you go back to your college dorms, your work place and think how you may make a difference in the life of someone younger and less fortunate then yourself. Make sure you become an advocate for those students who are just like you were in high school. Again, this problem is real, and it is all of our responsibility to help.

As one of my all time favorite pieces of writing by Michael Josephson states, “Living a life that matters doesn’t happen by accident. It’s not a matter of circumstance but of choice. Choose to live a life that matters!”

Finally, please help our youth, “Live the Dream!”

Thank you!
--
¡Viviendo el SueƱo! (Living the Dream!)
Mr. Anibal Soler, Jr.
http://www.anibalsoler.com
http://anibalsoler.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Prospeke International, Professional speaker agency and bureau. Our business speakers are professionals in their field, delivering after dinner, keynote, workshop and conference presentations that are motivational, thought-provoking and educational for any event. Professional speakers