Sunday, January 27, 2008

Identity

Through out my time as an educator and school administrator, I have often thought about the concept of identity. I think about how this act of self-actualization plays a role in the educational experience of my urban students.

It is often stated that minority students struggle through out school, especially secondary school, because they see no relevance in curriculum and education. They have no connection on why education is important and how they should be using the school experience to open other doors. Is this their fault or ours? I believe it to be our fault and responsibility.

This framework causes me to think about identity and its role in school. When students know who they are, they can begin to fulfill their potential and become viable and productive scholars, but yet schools don't spend anytime on this. Why don’t schools change some of their focus?

Why don't we teach students about their cultural backgrounds to help build their identity and role in the world? Why don't we create academic avenues where students can engage in self-identifying activities? I left high school unsure about what I wanted to become or who I was because my experiences where limited and non-relevant. This lack of practice still continues today.

I highly recommend that educators and school leaders start to change their focus on creating instructional programs that help students see themselves better through work, and through educational experiences. I think it is a huge reason why students struggle with being successful in school. Students see no to little relevance in school and curriculum. They also see little of their identity developing at school.

Let's take the time to focus more on the student and less on the mandated content. I think when you do this you will see the benefits beyond measure.

¡Viviendo el SueƱo! (Living the Dream!)
Mr. Anibal Soler, Jr.
http://www.anibalsoler.com
http://anibalsoler.blogspot.com

No comments: