Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Message From A Former Player

A couple of weeks ago, one of my former basketball players from my coaching days at School of the Arts wrote me. His message, which he posted on my "wall" on the popular social networking site facebook touched me. It reminded me of the work I do, and still must continue doing for others. When your working with youth, you often don't realize how powerful of an impact you have on their lives. His message, again speaks to why I feel so many of our city youth need mentors and advocates and how those individuals can make a lasting impact on their lives. Finally, his success is the biggest reward he can give me. Keep up the good work, and before you know you will reach all of your goals!

Here is what he had to say...
"I c y u and P r best friends. Yall some deep brothers. Yall probably battle each otha 2 c who is the most deep. lol Well I am def living the dream. Living my life 2 achieve my dream of being a sports broadcaster/anchor man 4 ESPN and trying 2 live a righteous life 2 inspire someone else 2 show that dreams can come true by hard work and surrounding ur self wit good ppl, like u amade my life turn out so different bc (well as P tells it) me and someone else was the last person 2 b cut from JV (i was bad) but u didnt cut me. u gave me a chance & 4 that I am 4eva greatful. By me playing basketball u gave me not only an opportunity 2 do something I loved but a chance 2 meet ppl I probably wouldnt have met and gave me the confidence in school 2 step out of my little shy phase, (that as u can tell never went away lol) I had coming into high school that i had, but i wasnt shy bc pl knew me bc I played on the team & by u giving me the confidence 2 shoot the ball out there in the game changed me and 4 that I am 4ever thankful 4 u Coach Red! u the best coach eva. U wanted us 2 win basketball games but most importantly u cared about each and everyone of us personally as young men and wanted us 2 b good men. U wanted us 2 care 4 one another and play hard and those r values that go with u the rest of ur life, way way way past the basketball court. Ur a great teacher and heck of a shooter (until I get on u. I hope P told u but my new nickname besides Julo is the Red Stopper:-), ur just an awesome guy and everyone that has ever been in contact wit u feels lucky, like I do."


--
¡Viviendo el SueƱo! (Living the Dream!)
Mr. Anibal Soler, Jr.
http://www.anibalsoler.com
http://anibalsoler.blogspot.com

No comments: