Thursday, October 16, 2008

True Life:Surviving RIT

Last night I had the opportunity to once again address a mixture of college students. I was asked by one of my fraternity brothers to deliver a presentation on being successful in college. Although I have never attended R.I.T. the components of my message are pretty universal. My presentation was followed by a panel of 5th year Seniors at R.I.T. who represent a variety of cultures, and majors. The students spoke genuinely about the positive and not so positive experiences they have had in their lives and at R.I.T. They also offered the students advice, and gave them honest opinions on what they felt worked for them. Although none of the students have graduated yet, they are definitely in the final stretch.

As I sat there listening to what they had to say, I found myself desperately wanting to throw all of them into my SUV and bring them to school the next day. Why, you may ask? Because they are a direct reflection of my students. My students, do not have role models or connections to the world that is achievable through education. Role models and mentors that not only look like them but also exhibit the importance of college attainment.

I would like to give kudos to Mr. Sean Bennett, Director of the North Star Center, who sponsored this event with the ideas of Mr. Shaun Villanueva. Mr. Bennett is definitely an advocate and agent for change at R.I.T. Good Luck as their is still much to do on your campus.

Living the Dream!
Mr. Soler

No comments: