Sunday, July 27, 2008

Advancement Via Individual Determination-AVID


I just got back from Atlanta, GA were I attended a training session for AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) and let me start out by saying that I am eager to get underway.

AVID is a unique program targeted at middle of the road students who are often times invisible in the classroom. The type of students who get by academically and rarely cause any issues behaviorally. The students, that need some support and instruction on preparing themselves for college.

What impressed me most about the AVID program and the five day institute was the passion and fire that was there by the organization and by other attendees on making sure underrepresented students get to college.

This September, I along with my AVID site team will be embarking on our first cohort of AVID students. We have 46 students engaging in this journey. I will keep you all posted!

For more information on AVID check out their website: www.avidonline.org

Living the Dream!
Mr. Anibal Soler, Jr.

No comments: